The Agronomy Research and Variety Testing Unit (ARVTU) is pleased to present the first issue of the Research Update. This new publication reflects and showcases the wider research and extension scope of the Unit and replaces the longstanding publication “Variety Update” which provided the results of the annual variety yield census and focused on sugar cane variety performance.
The research areas covered in this first edition include the:
• Variety Development Programme
• Soil Fertility/Cane Nutrition Project
• Moth Borer- Island Infestation Survey
• Harvester Loss Survey
• Hot Water/Nursery Establishment to Control RSD
• Tillage and Soil Health
• Best Practice Management on Farms Aided by Technology
• Analysis of Production Costs for Conventional Plant Cane
• Non-Sugar Research Review
We hope that this volume will provide technical information useful to the advancement of a more productive and rejuvenated sugar cane industry.